Monday, August 9, 2010

My Dusty Acres Summer Vacation by Jaina

My Mommy wants to know what I did on my summer vacation at Dusty Acres with Grandma and Grandpa Wilson so I asked my Grammie to write this up for me. I call Grammie that when I am being goofy.

It was a long drive from Calgary to Dusty Acres. Every time I asked Mom if we were there yet she said, ten more minutes honey, ten more minutes. There were a lot of ten more minutes. I sang Mom lots of songs; Baa Baa Black Sheep, Smokey the Bear, My ABC's, Swimming and the Itsy Bitsy Spider. We were at Grandma and Grandpa's before I ran out of songs.


Chill'axin at Bull River
It was a busy week with Grandma and Grandpa; for old people they sure were fun. We went canoeing at the lake, to the play park, hiking, and we went to the beach where we dug for treasure, went fishing and on bear hunts by following the animal tracks in the sand and mud. Grandma told me when we were at the beach we are 'Chill'axin'. I like that word.



Digging for Treasure
Fishing
Going on a Bear Hunt
The treasure is here somewhere!


Grandma also taught me to wave really big at Thomas the Train so that he would blow his whistle. She even put me up on her shoulders so I would be real high and the conductor would see me waving. Four trains went by when we were at the beach and four times Thomas blew his whistle. I was so happy. Grandpa told me not to be disappointed if they didn't blow their whistle. I was not disappointed.

That's me, asleep under the book.
Every night Grandma would read me stories. One of my favorites was Pinocchio. I had Grandma read it to me two nights in a row. Grandma has a big playroom she calls a studio. She  had chalk, paints crayons paper and a bunch of clothes pegs in her studio. While she was working on a surprise for me, I was working on a surprise for her. I was collecting clothes pegs from her basket. I learned how to use them the day before when I helped Grandma hang the clothes on the line.Those clothes pegs got me thinking about Pinocchio. If I put that clothes peg on my nose I would be like Pinocchio and have a really long wooden nose. So I put one on my nose. I forgot that they pinched. Hard. I cried really loud and Grandma quickly reached over and unpegged my nose. I could tell she was trying hard not to laugh. She gave me big hugs and wiped away my tears. She asked me 'Jaina, why did you put the clothes peg on your nose?' I told her I  wanted to be Pinocchio. Grandma gave me another big hug. When Grandma asked me what I learned I told her 'don't put clothes pegs on your nose, they pinch'.
Teetering with Grandpa
Grandpa teetering!
Grandma and Me in Winnie the Pooh's House. 
My cave at the play park.
Me and Grandma in front of the Bull River Community Hall.

Grandma likes it when I sing. She was surprised I knew so many songs. I even knew some she didn't know. My Mom and Grandma Potosky taught me lots of songs. Grandma Wilson taught me a new song too. It goes like this; Ninety nine bottles of milk on the wall, ninety nine bottles of milk on the wall. Take one down, pass it around, ninety eight bottles of milk on the wall.' It was a real long song. Grandma tried to get me to sing it but I wasn't sure of all the words so I would practice it when I was having quiet time and Grandma was sitting outside in the sun working on my surprise. I do know the words but I sometimes get the numbers wrong.
I like Grampa pushes..I go very high and I do not let go!
Norbury Lake
Norbury Lake
Canoeing was fun with Mom and Grandpa. They paddled me all around the lake. I felt just like a princess sitting in the canoe, my slaves paddling away. Especially when my hat blew off and they had to try and get it before it sank. Sitting in the canoe in the warm sunshine was so relaxing I almost fell asleep. After lunch I went canoeing with Mom and Grandma. We saw a snake swimming in the water, fish, loons and eagles.

Grandpa, Grandma and Me
Grandpa took me on a special ride too. We went on the ATV. He hung on to me real tight. I kept pointing at all the things I was seeing and telling him about them but the ATV was too noisy, he couldn't hear me. When we got close to the lake we found some big cows. They had something on their tummy. When I asked Grandma what they were she told me they were udders, and there is milk in there. She's silly, the milk is in a carton in the fridge. My Grandma Wilson, she's so full of stories.
I like ice cream!
Grandma told me a really good story on the drive home to Calgary. It was about a little girl named Jaina, just like me. She didn't even have a book, she just talked. I really liked that; I listened very carefully. When Grandma was done the story about Jaina I asked her for another but she said she had to think of one. I asked her about ten more times on the way home if she had thought of one yet but she kept saying 'not yet'. Grandma, have you thought of another Jaina story yet?
My new quilt and apron that Grandma made just for me.


I was so happy to see my Mommy when I got home. She was waiting outside for me. I ran to her and gave her big hugs. My Mommy looked like she was going to cry. I had a really good time at Dusty Acres with Grandma and Grandpa, but I am really happy to be home with Mommy and Daddy. I missed them. And Cleo and Pharaoh too.
My Grammie & Me
Maybe Mommy and Daddy will let me go back to Dusty Acres and have another vacation with Grandma and Grandpa. I will even sing that song for Grandma.

No comments:

Post a Comment