Monday, August 3, 2009

Celebrating 80 years

Last week was my Uncle Bill's birthday. Eighty. Eight decades. Twenty years shy of one hundred. Young.

It had been a long time since I had seen my Uncle Bill, my Dad's brother, probably fourteen years or so. He has not changed. He is still kind, funny, thoughtful and loving. His blue eyes sparkle with love, joy and mischief. He makes me smile and laugh. He reminds me of Dad.

Bill loves his family. All of us. That's a lot of people. I could feel it when I sat and talked with him, sharing memories; when I was young, when he and Dad and the rest of his siblings were younger, happy times, sad times.


Not all the aunts and uncles were able to attend. My dad (John), Victor and Barbara Joan have passed away, Sally, Betty and Donald were unable to attend. (But I am sure they were all there in spirit, one way or another.) Uncle Bob and Aunt Nada made the trip over from Victoria. The bond between Bill and his brother Bob was very evident. The pictures below tell the whole story. The expressions on their faces as they shared in telling a story (and clowning around) says it all. (Doesn't matter what the story was, plug in anything you like, being sure to include,'You're not going to tell that story are you', 'That's not how it happened', 'I don't think so', 'Not that again', 'Who, me?').








Here is the group of us that attended the birthday celebration.

It was a pleasure to spend time with all the cousins, aunts and uncles that I have not seen in years. It was great to see Aunt Virginia, Malcolm, Richard none of whom I would have recognized if I had sat beside them anywhere but here.

The Great and the Grand. Bill and Laura's grand kids that is. Lots of them; having fun. Hamming it up for the camera, letting their personalities coming through.






I will put a slideshow up of all the pics from the celebration or you can click here.

Thanks so much for inviting us to share in Uncle Bill's birthday. Looking forward to the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment